Blasts Hit India’s Mumbai, At Least 21 Killed
A deadly series of explosions rocked the city of Mumbai, India, on Wednesday, killing at least 21 people and wounding more than 141 others in an incident that again put the focus on the police’s capability to secure the country’s largest city and financial hub.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the deadliest incident since Mumbai was rocked by a series of attacks in 2008 that killed 166 people over a three-day period. Investigators said improvised explosive devices were likely used in the coordinated attacks, which targeted the Opera House, Kabooter Khana, and Zaveri Bazaar. The areas are frequented by people for their diamond and gold trade. At least three blasts were heard Wednesday.
Police have not named any suspects in the attacks, although security experts say local militants may be behind the blasts. State Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said the government will solve the latest blow to the sprawling city’s security. “This is another attack on the heart of India, heart of Mumbai. We will fully meet the challenge, we are much better prepared than 26/11,” Chavan said referring to the 2008 attacks.