Marquez-Diaz Rematch Set

Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz are set to tangle once more in what could be another explosive fight similar to their February 2009 match. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer announced that the two fighters will face each other on July 31 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Diaz will be looking for payback against Marquez, who stopped him in the ninth round when they fought last year for the WBO and WBA lightweight titles.

Both fighters have lost their previous fights, with Marquez losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September and Diaz bowing to Paul Malignaggi in December. Marquez said he accepted the fight to prove himself again after an unsuccessful try in the welterweight division against Mayweather, who knocked him down in the second round en route to a lopsided unanimous decision win. “I challenged at another weight, and now I’m going back to my real weight…I’m forgetting that first fight (against Diaz). I have to prove myself again in this fight,” Marquez said.

Diaz also has a lot to prove in the rematch, as he has lost three of his last five fights after winning his first 33 fights and becoming the undisputed lightweight champion in 2007. Diaz, who finished his political science degree at the University of Houston last year, said he expects to dominate Marquez again like he did in their first fight. “This is going to be a great summer for me, I can feel it. Come July 31, I’m going to pick up from the ninth round, which is where I left off beating him.”