Mayweather Jr to Fight for WBC Welterweight Belt
Floyd Mayweather Jr will finally be fighting in the ring this year.
The flamboyant boxer has agreed to fight for the WBC welterweight championship in September at a still to be determined venue, ESPN’s Dan Rafael said in a report. The fight will be Mayweather’s first since he defeated Shane Mosley on May 1, 2010. “My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz. Sept 17, 2011 for the WBC world championship,” the 34-year-old five-division champ said in a tweet.
The news is a welcome change for Mayweather Jr., who has been hitting the headlines the past several months for all the wrong reasons. Mayweather is currently facing several felony and misdemeanor charges, including one for allegedly fighting with the mother of two of his children.
The fight, which was confirmed by Ortiz’s manager, comes amid continued calls by fans and boxing experts alike for Mayweather to face widely recognized pound-for-pound king and current WBO welterweight champ Manny Pacquiao, who is coming off a lopsided victory over Mosley last month.