NATO Attack Destroys Gaddafi Guard Towers

In a strong message to Muammar Gaddafi, NATO forces attacked Tripoli anew late Friday, destroying the guard towers at the Libyan leader’s compound.

“RAF Typhoons, along with other NATO aircraft, last night used precision-guided weapons to bring down guard towers along the walls of Colonel Gaddafi’s Bab al-Aziziyah complex in the center of Tripoli,” Maj. Gen. John Lorimer said in a statement on Saturday. “Last night’s action sends a powerful message to the regime’s leadership…that they are no longer hidden away from the Libyan people behind high walls.” NATO officials said Gaddafi was not the target of the raid, and it has yet to be determined if the 68-year-old strongman was inside the compound when the attacks occurred.

Meanwhile on Saturday, NATO intensified the pressure on Gaddafi as the Allied Forces launched a daytime attack for the first time. The daytime raid was carried out amid growing calls for Gaddafi to step down. A day earlier, Russia called on Gaddafi to relinquish his position, marking a change of tune for Moscow, which had previously opposed the U.S.-led NATO operations in Libya.