South Korean Military Report: Navy Ship Sunk by North Korean Torpedo

Tension in the Korean Peninsula is expected to heighten as a local newspaper says that the South Korean military intelligence submitted a report to President Lee Myung-bak saying that North Korea was responsible for the sinking of a Navy ship that killed 46 sailors. South Korean newspaper Yonhap said in a report that the strengthening of North Korea’s guerrilla warfare was the basis for the South’s suspicion that the Cheonan was hit by a submarine torpedo.

Earlier this week, Defense Minister Kim Tae-young also said in a report to Parliament that North Korea was the suspect in the tragedy. A South Korean investigator also claimed that “external explosion” probably caused the Cheonan to break on March 26.

North Korea has denied any involvement in the sinking, accusing instead South Korean President Lee of using the issue to bolster his party ahead of a coming local elections. Political analysts believe that it is highly unlikely that the South will react violently regardless if it was proven that the North fired at the Cheonan for fear of scaring investors.