Astronauts Speak About Moon Landing Program Cancellation
Astronauts are not happy with the current government administration’s decision to delay the sending of men to the moon.
Speaking to BBC in London last Friday, March 12, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell described it as catastrophic while Eugene Cernan said it was disappointing. Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, declined to make a comment.
Cernan is the last man to go there having been the last to re-enter the Apollo Lunar Module of Apollo 17 (Cernan on moon pictured) in 1972. “I’m quite disappointed that I’m still the last man on the moon,” he said.
He believes that the United States has the responsibility to seek knowledge and maintain leadership in technology.
President Barack Obama stopped the plans to send back astronauts after canceling the Constellation Moon Landings program in an effort to maximize cost-cutting measures that was announced last month. He reversed a decision and approval made by his predecessor, former President George W. Bush.