DOH confirms first A(H1N1) case in the Philippines

ah1n1-philippines

The Philippine health department announced Thursday evening that there has been one A(H1N1) flu case confirmed in the country.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, who is currently at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, said in a teleconference that a 10-year-old Filipino girl who flew in from the United States earlier this week tested positive for the virus.

“The Department of Health confirms today the first case of A(H1N1) in the Philippines,” Duque said.

The patient, who had also visited Canada when she was in the U.S., is currently being treated at an undisclosed medical facility.

According to the health secretary, the girl no longer has a fever but her throat remains sore and she is under observation and her family quarantined.

“We advise the public not to panic. There is no community level outbreak. Measures are being implemented to prevent transmission,” Duque added.

The World Health Organization earlier raised its tally of A(H1N1) cases around the world to 11,034 and 85 deaths.