Marquez Dominates Diaz, Wants Pacquiao

Juan Manuel Marquez returned with aplomb after his one-sided defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September, beating Juan Diaz via a unanimous decision on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.

Marquez, who knocked out Diaz in the 9th round when they first met in February last year, dominated the challenger from start to finish en route to keeping his WBO lightweight title and WBA Super World lightweight crown. In a post fight interview, Marquez immediately expressed his desire to get a third crack at seven-division world champion Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines. “The trilogy is what I want. It’s what the people want,” said Marquez, who salvaged a controversial draw in his first fight with Pacquiao before suffering a split decision loss in their second meeting. “I will be ready for another fight in December, hopefully Pacquiao,” Marquez said.

However, Marquez may have to wait until next year to get the match he so badly wants, as Pacquiao is scheduled to fight the returning Antonio Margarito in November. Top Rank chief Bob Arum went for Margarito after Mayweather Jr. turned down a chance to face the Filipino champion.