Mayweather Snubs Arum Offer for Pacquiao Fight
A Floyd Mayweather Jr.–Manny Pacquiao fight this year is turning farther away from becoming a reality.
Top Rank honcho Bob Arum said that the much-anticipated box-off between the two world-renowned fighters might not happen this November as scheduled after negotiations with the Mayweather camp bogged down anew.
The Mayweather camp failed to answer Bob Arum’s Saturday deadline for the proposed November 13 fight to push through, forcing the Top Rank boss to look elsewhere for an opponent for Pacquiao, the seven-division champion and congressman from the Philippines. Arum said he might pit Pacquiao against the returning Antonio Margarito, although the Mexican-American has yet to regain his license to fight in the United States due to the illegal hand-wrapping he used in his January 2009 loss to Shane Mosley.
Aside from Margarito, another possibility is a rematch between Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto, who has recovered mightily from the November 2009 knockout loss to the Filipino world champion. Cotto recently won the WBA junior-middleweight title with a knockout of previously undefeated Yuri Foreman.
However, Arum said he is not closing the door on Mayweather despite opening negotiations with Margarito and Cotto. “While these negotiations are going on [with Cotto and Margarito], if Floyd came to the table, that’s the fight we want more than all others.”