Too much alcohol killed Amy Winehouse – coroner

Amy Winehouse Dead

Amy Winehouse consumed a very large amount of alcohol prior to her death, a British coroner revealed on Wednesday.

The troubled singer, who shot to fame with her Grammy Award-winning song Rehab, suffered accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after weeks of abstinence. Winehouse’s blood alcohol level was five times the legal driving limit when she was found dead at her Camden Square apartment in north London on July 23, according to Suzanne Greenway.

“She had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416 mg per deciliter [of blood] and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death,” said Greenway.

Police recovered three empty bottles of vodka, two large and one small, at the scene. Dr. Christina Romete, Amy’s personal doctor, confirmed the singer had started drinking again three days prior to her demise.

Winehouse’s death follows a long list of musicians who have all died at the age of 27, known as the 27 Club. They include Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones, Dave Alexander and Robert Johnson.