UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones [UPDATED with RESULTS]
UFC 128 Live Stream: Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will try to extend his reign as the light-heavyweight king when he faces Jon Jones in the main event of UFC 128 at the Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey, on March 19, 2011.
Rua, who won the title last year with a KO of Lyoto Machida in UFC 113, was supposed to face Rashad Evans in his first defense. However, Evans suffered an injury, pushing Jones into the spotlight—a spot that the 23-year-old from Rochester, New York, is expected to take advantage of. It would be Jones’ s first-ever UFC title fight, but if his record is to be used as a measuring stick, Rua could be in for a tough fight. Jones has been impressive in his UFC fights, including impressive victories against Brandon Vera, Vladimir Matyushenko, and Ryan Bader in his last three matches. Jones packs a 12-1 MMA record, the only blemish in his career was a DQ in “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweight Finale,” where he dominated Matt Hamil before being tossed out for an illegal elbow.
Rua, though, remains the favorite, especially since Jones only had six weeks to prepare for the biggest fight of his career. Both Rua and Jones are knockout artists, so this fight could be over very fast. Unconvinced? Check these facts: Jones’s last five fights have not gone beyond the second round, while Rua has gone the distance only once in his last six matches.
Serving as the main appetizer for the mouth-watering featured match is a bantamweight fight between Urijah Faber and former WEC champion Eddie Wineland, who will be making his UFC debut. Also in the main card is the Jim Miller-Kamal Shalorus light-heavyweight bout and Mirko Filipovic and Brendan Schaub’s heavyweight match.
UPDATE: UFC 128 RESULTS
* Jon “Bones” Jones def. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua via TKO – Round 3, 2:37 (UFC light heavyweight champion)
* Urijah Faber def. Eddie Wineland via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Jim Miller def. Kamal Shalorus via TKO – Round 3, 2:15
* Nate Marquardt def. Dan Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Brendan Schaub def. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic via TKO – Round 3, 3:44
* Luiz Cane def. Eliot Marshall via TKO – Round 1, 2:15
* Edson Barboza def. Anthony Njokuani via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
* Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Almeida via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
* Gleison Tibau def. Kurt Pellegrino via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
* Joseph Benavidez def. Ian Loveland via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
* Nick Catone def. Costantinos Philippou via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Erik Koch def. Raphael Assuncao via knockout – Round 1, 2:32