UFC 99 Results: Franklin beats Silva in Germany
The judges awarded Rich Franklin a unanimous decision over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99 “The Comeback” on Saturday. Oddly for the third time on the night, ring announcer Bruce Buffer chose not to announce the scores at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany.
Fighting at a catch weight of 195 pounds, the two took turns controlling the first round, although it appeared Franklin did more damage in the opening five minutes.
The former UFC middleweight champion dictated the tempo in the next round. Silva finally connected and wobbled Franklin, bullsrushing him at the fence. Franklin survived and the fight returned to the middle of the cage.
In the third round, Silva looked tired but kept moving forward and scoring with punches. Franklin took the Brazilian fighter down in the final minute before he recovered and threw a few elbows as time went off.
UFC 99: “The Comeback” Complete Results:
* Rich Franklin def. Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision.
* Cain Velasquez def. Cheick Kongo via unanimous decision.
* Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic def. Mustapha al Turk via TKO (punches) – Round 1.
* Mike Swick def. Ben Saunders via TKO (strikes) – Round 2.
* Spencer Fisher def. Caol Uno via unanimous decision.
* Dan Hardy def. Marcus Davis via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
Preliminary Card (un-televised)
* Terry Etim def. Justin Buchholz via submission (D’arce) – Round 2.
* Denis Siver def. Dale Hartt via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1.
* Paul Taylor def. Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision.
* Paul Kelly def. Roli Delgado via unanimous decision.
* Stefan Struve def. Denis Stojnic via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2.
* John Hathaway def. Rick Story via unanimous decision.
UPDATE: UFC 100 is on!
Watch UFC 100 live stream